heroku run fs:index taking not working

Ashwin

18 Jun, 2012 06:07 PM

Hi,

I deployed my new rails application recently on Heroku and I'm using flying sphinx addon for implementing search feature, I have added wooden version of flying-sphinx and when I try to index the index the command is not responding with anything and not completing.

The command I'm trying to run is

heroku run rake fs:index

and the application is deployed on cedar.

This is my settings:

Gemfile:

gem 'thinking-sphinx', '2.0.10', :require => 'thinking_sphinx'
gem 'flying-sphinx', '0.6.5'

config/sphinx.yml

development:
version: '1.10-beta'

production:
version: '1.10-beta'

When I run heroku run fs:index , it never indexes and hence the sphinx search is application is not working, Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Pat Allan on 18 Jun, 2012 06:16 PM

Hi Ashwin

What's your app's name? Knowing that will make it much easier for me to investigate on the server.

Cheers

Pat

2. 2 Posted by Ashwin on 18 Jun, 2012 06:19 PM

Hi Pat,

The application name is ftcomp (ftcomp.herokuapp.com)

Thanks,
    Ashwin

3. 3 Posted by Ashwin on 18 Jun, 2012 06:24 PM

Hi Pat,

I found this new response which says the error below.

heroku run rake fs:index

Running rake fs:index attached to terminal... up, run.1

Starting Index Request
      rake aborted!
      end of file reached

Tasks: TOP => fs:index

Also when I check the heroku logs from my application it says like below.

2012-06-18T18:09:32+00:00 heroku[run.1]: Awaiting client
    2012-06-18T18:09:32+00:00 heroku[run.1]: Starting process with command bundle exec rake fs:index
    2012-06-18T18:09:32+00:00 heroku[run.1]: State changed from starting to up
    2012-06-18T18:10:08+00:00 heroku[run.1]: Process exited with status 1
    2012-06-18T18:10:08+00:00 heroku[run.1]: State changed from up to complete

Please check and let me know if I have to change any configuration in my application.

Thanks,
    Ashwin

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Pat Allan on 18 Jun, 2012 06:27 PM

Hi Ashwin

It looks like you've added the FLYING_SPHINX_INGRESS variable, but I'm guessing you're using the standard Heroku shared database? If so, then you'll need to remove it:

heroku config:remove FLYING_SPHINX_INGRESS

If either of those guesses are wrong, can you let me know what database plan/add-on you're using, and the output from heroku config (well, the FLYING_SPHINX variables).

Cheers

Pat

5. 5 Posted by Ashwin on 18 Jun, 2012 06:36 PM

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the quick response, I removed FLYING_SPHINX_INGRESS as you said, and tried to index again which still is not executing.

This is the heroku config I have for flying sphinx,

=> 825ff0fea95686872
       => ec2-23-20-127-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com

=> 238f272cbe45d88a1

=> 9317

I'm using shared database and I'm not using any database plan/add-on. Please let me know if you need complete config information of the application.

Thanks,
    Ashwin

6. 6 Posted by Ashwin on 18 Jun, 2012 06:39 PM

Hi Pat,

Were you able to see the trace of heroku config which I posted ? It doesn't look formatted in the comment I posted before.

Thanks,
    Ashwin

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Pat Allan on 18 Jun, 2012 06:41 PM

Hi Ashwin

Now it looks like there's something not quite right with your index definitions… can you provide your define_index blocks?

Also, you can view the indexing output yourself via the dashboard:

heroku addons:open flying_sphinx

Cheers

--
    Pat

8. 8 Posted by Ashwin on 18 Jun, 2012 06:54 PM

Hi Pat,

These are my define_index blocks,

define_index do

indexes match1, :sortable => true
    indexes permission, :sortable => true
    indexes user_id, :sortable => true

end

define_index do

indexes question, :sortable => true
    indexes permission, :sortable => true
    indexes user_id, :sortable => true

end

Here the permission is datatype string and user_id datatype is integer, I checked the logs of indexing in the addons log

I find this error in the log, and nothing has been indexed.

sql_range_query: ERROR: invalid input syntax for integer:

Please let me know if this is anything to do with the application, when I searched this error I found that it has something to do with the postgres database.

Thanks,

Ashwin

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Pat Allan on 18 Jun, 2012 07:26 PM

How are you using the user_id field in each index? I'd recommend switching that to an attribute instead (which are always sortable), and can be integers natively in Sphinx - this should avoid the type issues.

Pat

10. 10 Posted by Ashwin on 19 Jun, 2012 09:26 AM

Hi Pat,

user_id is an attribute of the object wherever I have defined index and I'm using that attribute for extended match mode in my search methods, and I read in the documentation that integer datatypes are supported by flying sphinx and sortable too just like thinking sphinx. Can I know why is it not getting indexed and throwing the exception below ?

indexing index 'matching_core'...
    ERROR: index 'matching_core': sql_range_query: ERROR: invalid input syntax for integer: ""

If I cannot index user_id which is a attribute of the class, is there any other recommendations you suggest ? I need to use that user_id attribute for my search extended match modes.

Thanks,
    Ashwin

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Pat Allan on 19 Jun, 2012 09:44 AM

Hi Ashwin

Sorry if you already understand this, but just to be clear: Sphinx has fields and attributes, but they are not the same thing:
    http://freelancing-god.github.com/ts/en/sphinx_basics.html

In Thinking Sphinx's index definitions, the 'indexes' method is for fields, the 'has' method is for attributes. If you're sorting by user_id, then it may be best to have it as an attribute, but that really depends on how else you're using it (can you show me the search calls?)

That said, if you need user_id to be treated as a string, then your best option is to cast it as one:

indexes "user_id::varchar", :as => :user_id, :sortable => true

Cheers

Pat

12. 12 Posted by Ashwin on 19 Jun, 2012 10:07 AM

Hi Pat,

I tried defining the index as you said,

indexes "user_id::varchar", :as => :user_id, :sortable => true

But got this error below while indexing,

column "matchings.user_id" must appear in the GROUP BY clause or be used in an aggregate function

The search call in my application is like this

@matchings = Matching.search "*#{params[:input_value]}* (@user_id #{current_user.id} | @permission #{'Public'})", :match_mode => :extended

What I'm trying to do with is I need to fetch all the rows which has the input value in fields and either the user_id must be the current user or the permission should be public. Extended match mode is one way I found for doing this.

Since I'm using user_id for checking in the extended match mode, I had to index that for searching.

Thanks,
    Ashwin

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Pat Allan on 19 Jun, 2012 10:14 AM

Hi Ashwin

Right. I guess that makes sense. So, you will need to add user_id to the GROUP BY clause manually - just add this to your index definition:

group_by 'user_id'

But also, given you're filtering internally, not by user input, I would personally change things so it's attribute-driven for the filter:

has "permission = 'Public'", :as => :is_public, :type => :boolean
        has user_id

group_by 'permission'

And then searching:

Matching.search params[:input_value],
          :star => true,
          :with => {:user_or_public => true},
          :sphinx_select => "*, IF(is_public OR user_id = #{current_user.id}, 1, 0) AS user_or_public"

Granted, it is more detailed, but does provide that clearer separation. Let me know how whichever approach you choose goes.

Pat

14. 14 Posted by Ashwin on 19 Jun, 2012 12:22 PM

Hi Pat,

The latter approach worked for me and the search is up, thank you very much for your support.

Currently I have wooden version of flying sphinx, will it be possible to use delta indexing with this version of flying sphinx ?

Thanks,
    Ashwin

15. Support Staff 15 Posted by Pat Allan on 19 Jun, 2012 12:25 PM

Great to hear it's working.

As for deltas, I'm afraid it's not something I'll be adding to the wooden plan - from a resource perspective, it's just not feasible to have the increase in demand on those servers and keep everything reliable.

Pat

16. 16 Posted by nitin on 21 Aug, 2014 11:35 AM

Hi Patt,

I have an application(gamezone-next-dev.herokuapp.com) running on heroku. I ahve added flyings-phinx for searching. There is an issue i am facing with it. When i run rake fs:index, it just works fine and all of articles gets indexed.

But whenever an article is created, it doesn't get indexed and says: 'sh: indexer not found'
    Can you please find what is the isuue

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac