Alerts and Indexed data

solutionspsd

18 Mar, 2014 05:18 AM

Hi Pat,
Using Flying Sphinx, as setup by you for Funways, via Heroku. I have a couple of questions. I've looked at discussion and knowledge base but can't find the answer to these or the answer is in IT lingo, which means nothing to me:

1. Currently configured for Wooden plan. I'm not receiving any messages. alerts or notifications in relation to this Fly Sphinx app. This may be because usage is low? My question is - Where do I (in non IT language please) check that my email address is registered for alerts and updates, and if necessary update emails details?

2. Where, in non-IT language do I see how much data has been indexed? All I can see is disk usage and memory usage on the dashboard.

3. In the granite plan, what does redundant server do/mean?

4. Do you notify of new versions to Sphinx and how to update the software, of is this down automatically via heroku?

5. Do I need to be on a particular plan to Re-Index, or can this be completed for all plans?

Thanks, David

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Pat Allan on 18 Mar, 2014 12:28 PM

Hi David

Your usage is indeed low, so there's no alerts to be sent. The email address in the system was Nathan's, as he was the previous owner of the app, but I've no updated to be yours (in line with Heroku's provided details).

The indexed data is the disk usage - so, you're currently sitting on about a quarter of a MB.

Redundant servers are fallback servers for when the primary servers go offline unexpectedly - it makes it much faster to recover, as they're sitting there waiting and ready (otherwise general recovery time is usually somewhere between 30 and 60 minutes, unless there's a major outage with the Flying Sphinx hosting provider, which is Amazon - in those situations, it could be longer). That said, server crashes are rare, and in some cases, 30 to 60 minutes downtime, while never ideal, is not a deal breaker.

There's no automatic updates for versions of Sphinx, nor any notifications. I have thought a little bit recently about being more pro-active with managing Sphinx versions, but it would require significant changes to the way Flying Sphinx currently manages things, so I don't see any changes happening in the near future.

Re-indexing is available for all plans - it's only delta indices (which are useful for near-real-time updates) that require more resources, hence why that's not available on the Wooden plan.

If you've any further queries about this, do let me know.

Kind regards,

Pat

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac