Can FS be used outside Heroku on AWS?

ddeyoung

22 Oct, 2014 07:09 PM

As an app grows and is migrated to an EC2 based architecture on AWS (away from Heroku), will I still be able to use the Flying Sphinx service?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Pat Allan on 01 Nov, 2014 10:59 AM

Sorry I've not responded to this sooner! (A combination of jetlag, events and an out-of-control inbox).

Unfortunately there's nothing in place at this point in time to directly support Flying Sphinx on EC2 without Heroku. Technically, you could have an app sitting there in Heroku for just this purpose, and use the appropriate environment variables on EC2 - I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work - but the one catch is that if the server your Sphinx daemon is on requires maintenance or unexpectedly restarts (neither are super common, though they certainly happen) then there's no way to notify your EC2 app that the server address/port has changed.

If you're happy with that limitation (which would involve updating your EC2 app manually in those situations) then I guess that's an option. It's certainly not ideal though.

2. 2 Posted by ddeyoung on 01 Nov, 2014 12:40 PM

Thanks for the response Pat. I don't think that will work for this scenario but it's good to know there is a work around if we need something temporary or transitional.

3. 3 Posted by Jon Frisby on 21 Nov, 2014 08:16 PM

Could you enable something in which an email notification is sent about maintenance -- ideally beforehand when possible -- with the new parameters? That would make the EC2 option much less nerve-wracking...

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac